In 1880, the all-volunteer Breckenridge Fire Department was created in response to the treat of a major town fire. Breckenridge was growing rapidly and with boardwalks, commercial business, and homes constructed of log and wood, even the occasional small blaze was potentially catastrophic. The department soon boasted three companies; the Red, White, and Blue! Through the years, the Breckenridge Fire Department was composed of miners, teamsters, saloon-keepers, merchants and others who worked side by side as equals to defeat the “fire demon.” The current Fire Museum displays an original human-powered ladder cart, a restored hose cart as well as firefighting equipment and uniforms from the first companies.
The museum is open year-round with tours lead by modern firefighters; please visit the Red, White & Blue Fire Station (next to the museum) or call 970-453-2474 to arrange a tour.
FREE, $5 Suggested Donation
308 North Main Street, Breckenridge, CO
From the Breckenridge Welcome Center (203 South Main Street), travel north on Main Street. The Fire Museum is on the right, next to the Breckenridge Fire Station.