In 2011, the BHA installed eight interpretive signs in French Gulch along the B&B, Minnie Mine and X10U8 trails, which pass through Breckenridge’s fabled Golden Horseshoe - one of Colorado’s most fertile mining regions. Photographs from the mining era show how the landscape has changed and inform French Gulch trail. In 2013, the BHA completed six additional signs located on Town and Summit County trails as well as within the Town of Breckenridge. Most of the interpretive signs feature historic photographs showing “then” and “now”.
BHA’s interpretive sign program has been funded by Town of Bre ckenridge Open Space & Trails, Summit County Open Space & Trails and the Colorado Division of Mining & Reclamation.
In 1997, a freak windstorm blew down hundreds of trees and caused damaged to more than 150 monuments in Breckenridge’s 1882 Valley Brook Cemetery. The Town of Breckenridge completed a Preservation Master Plan for Valley Brook in 2000.
Since then, a monument conservator has restored damaged headstones and ironwork throughout the park-like cemetery. The BHA, on behalf of the Town, received a CLG grant in 2013 to nominate the cemetery to the National Register of Historic Places. The cemetery was officially listed on the register in July 2014. Regular maintenance and monument conservation continues to be a priority.
The walls of rock on south Ridge Street are all that remain of the dipping station in the Gold Pan Mining Company’s world-class machine shops. Built in 1900 the Gold Pan shops sprawled across three large buildings on Ridge Street, supporting nearby mining operations.
The dipping tank was used to coat pipes that carried water to placering operations throughout Summit County. A derrick lifted these giant pipes, many with a diameter of five feet and weighing six to seven tons, and dipped them in an asphaltum solution that prevented rusting and corroding. Below the vat, coal-fired ovens heated the asphaltum to 300 degrees F.
The BHA led a multi-year effort to stabilize the dipping station from 2008-2014, removing debris and plant material, re-mortaring loose stones and installing a public walkway and interpretive sign. The dipping station is located on Ridge Street across from today’s La Cima Mall parking lot.
Funding for the dipping station stabilization was provided by the Town of Breckenridge.
From 2002 to 2007, Mountain States Historical recorded more than 80 mine sites in the Breckenridge area to document mine site features, archaeology and other historical information.
The Town of Breckenridge, from 2000-2010, completed cultural resource surveys for buildings in the historic district. The surveys include historical and architectural information for each building and note whether the building contributes to the Historic District.
Funding for the mine sites inventories and cultural resource surveys was provided by History Colorado’s Office of Archaeology and Historic Preservation and the Town of Breckenridge.
To request a copy of a mine site inventory or cultural resource survey, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.